Book 31 March: The Book of Safety by Yasser Abdel Hafez

This is yet another particular book. Or a book in a book.... The Book of Safety is a very very nice and complex book.
To understand if you may like it, first of all you must know that it is not a handbook of safety precautions in case of whatever disaster. Hey check the cover, it's clear 'A Novel'! Maybe the editor had to put it for fear it may be really misunderstood.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1bSqNt4qYL.jpg

I loved it and so my wife, but as usual for us, it is not a 'linear' book and nothing like an airport one. Or a thriller or a love story or anything of sort you just read, switch off your brain and get entertained. I think you may be in the wrong blog if you are looking for something like that.

But back to the Book of Safety... to understand if you may like it, beware of a few things, it is a complex book for the way it is written and therefore translated. Something, the translation, that it may have not been easy at all. Its original is in Arabic, which is fairly more complex than English.
The Egyptian author, Yasser Abdel Hafez, has a style that reminds me more of Orhan Pamuk than Stephen King, to be clear. Somehow I got the impression that his national cultural heritage and sophistication... oh here the right word... sophisticated... this book is sophisticated!

It's a story inside another story. It's about the humanity of people, their secrets, their stories, their deceptions and liberation from their own through more deception. It is sophisticated.
I enjoyed reading it slowly while being eager to finish it, it was a companion of sort.

Enjoy it. I recommend it.

I give

Comments